Saturday, October 1, 2011

Question of the Month

Thank you to everyone who submitted a question this month. Even though we could only choose one I assure you that every one's voice was heard, and that we will do our best to answer each and every question.
The question we selected was just perfect for this time of year, and something that we feel many people struggle with.
Kristen Baumgarten asked:  I struggle with Halloween decorations because I try to find more fall ones that I can keep out for longer. What do you suggest I do to pay homage to the kids' favorite holiday?

Kristen, This is one of my personal struggles too. I want my house to feel warm and cozy in the Fall months. I want it to feel inviting, and comfortable, and I sometime feel like the eight foot inflatable witch, or zombie crawling out of the flower bed, even the shrieking candy dish with the severed hand might detract from that feel. Maybe that is just me. That being said, I also like my home to feel care free, and fun not just for the kids, but for everyone that enters my house. Halloween is mostly for the kids... I guess I am just that, a very big kid. Here are a few things I do to appease my daughter, and both sides of my somewhat split personality.
1. Pumpkins for Fall Jack-O-Lanterns for Halloween. The more you have the better in my opinion. I love real ones, or ones that look very real, and can be used year after year. I love all different shapes and sizes. Keep some plain for you or even better add in some black and white, and even gray ones. Carve some right around Halloween, and enjoy the rest through Thanksgiving.
2. Keep it Simple. A few tasteful decorations can go a long way. Each year I pick one or two Halloween items I truly love. Things that I feel are both fun and timeless. Things that my child enjoys, and things that bring out the child in me.
3. In October Halloween is King. I refuse to put up even one Halloween decoration before October first, and they are gone again November first. I love to be a kid for a month. I love to have my little one get excited about something that is very important to her. I love to have her help me decorate the house, so bring on October. Bring on the fun. Host a Halloween party, complete with creepy foods. Dress up your kids, and dress up yourself. Be one of the kids again.

No comments:

Post a Comment